Brandeis University Carl and Ruth Shapiro Campus Center
In 1971, Shapiro sold Kay Windsor Inc. to the Vanity Fair Corporation as part of Vanity Fair’s plan to expand into women’s knitwear. At the time, it was one of the largest women’s clothing companies in the country. After selling his company, Shapiro was director of Vanity Fair Corporation until his retirement in 1976. The Shapiros chose to donate to Brandeis because, as members of the Jewish community, they wanted to show their faith in the institution. The building needed to reduce solar heat gain and harsh glare.
The architect specified 10” CS Horizontal Airfoil blades to be mounted directly to the vertical curtainwall mullions via cut aluminum brackets. The narrow blade spacing is designed to limit direct sun from entering the student center’s South facing window wall. The sunshades reduce the heat and glare getting into the building and lessen the load on the HVAC.
Project: Brandeis University Carl and Ruth Shapiro Campus Center
Location: Rowley, MA
Architect: Charles Rose Architects
CS PRODUCTS USED ON THIS PROJECT
PARTNERING TO CREATE CUTTING EDGE SOLUTIONS@htagvalue>
Brandeis University has three building on campus made possible by Carl and Ruth Shapiro’s’ philanthropy. In 1939, Carl Shapiro formed Kay Windsor Inc., a women’s clothing company based in New Bedford, MA. 22 years later, the Shapiros had made a fortune, and established the Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family Foundation, according to the Foundation’s website.